Linux setup on my computer

linux,linux mint,ubuntu Linux compilation is meanly for me to remember a few step when I install linux mint 8 and ubuntu 9.10 into my Asus laptop. This blog contain all step I did installing and troubleshoot when using Linux.

Before this I'm using ubuntu 9.10 but after trying linux mint 8 I found out it easy on me. Maybe later I will change to other distro...well still this blog will be added all the step I do in that distro.

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Setup Lenovo S10-2 WiFi in Linux Mint 8


Ok...just pick one netbook Lenovo S10-2 bring back and first mistake I do is over confident on the brand...which I learn a lesson never never confident to the salesman (and the brand) when they said the brand is superb no prbolem so far and bla bla...blame on me too because I just check the body and the accessories inside the box but I didn't try to start the unit. Bring back and on it I spot a red dot in the middle of the screen. Emmm is it an effect I thought :) but check it out it's a hot spot dot pixel if not mistake they call it not the dead pixel. Thought never mind call them next morning and asking for new replacement.

Surprising next morning call them the taukey pick my call and explain to her about my problem and I insist to get a replacement...and she said cannot replace new one and instead can not do anything! it the Lenovo regulation got red or dead pixel can not do anything...ha ha my head getting blow up listen to the explanation. I told her I just bought last night and it not yet 24 hour and explain that I didn't check the display seem I confident on the brand. Well this put me another 100% sceptical on lenovo brand...I always used Asus and Gigabyte.

I told her this show bad impression on the brand and services as last night your salesman told me Lenovo services is good now she told me got red dot the company can not do anything...meaning I have to live with it after paying RM1249.00. What you think if you were me...angry LOL. I still pushed her and insist to get me new unit...she told just come over and see how la... ok...the whole day I can't focus on my job as driving whole day stuck on traffic jam is one thing thinking either I can get new unit for replacement also one thing. You know I did have problem too with Asus and Gigabyte but they never said can not la...like gigabyte manager he told me bring over I changed new motherboard for you no problem...that after used it for five month later. You know we feel calm when listen people talk nicely and give good hoping to you not just like cannot change! company regulation la!.....really piss off

As in the evening I drive fast to the place....arrived and met her and show the red pixel to her salesman...the salesman told me you know "if we take back this unit how we going to sell it back" eeemmm not my biznes cause you can return back to your supplier..claim on them. But he told me that the supplier don't care to take back because it only one red dot. You know what type of term is this include the supplier or lenovo do they think that when happen like my situation it is normal for them don't care...and that is their regulation. In my heart no more lenovo another thing.. I as customer I don't know your lenovo company regulation...same to other brand we never know their regulation...What for we want to know huh! I told the salesman you should told me lenovo regulation before I pay the unit or when we enter the shop put some banner or bunting tell customer lenovo regulation so we be more cautious when buying lenovo items not after we pay than problem arise...than all the regulation come out...ridiculous.

After make some noise and lucky there is quite customer inside the shop the taukey agreed to change new unit for me. Make it short I managed get new unit and check the display unit as never never trust to the best brand in the market include the best services...funny is before you pay they smile to you until their ears as you are the best customers but next day got problem their face turn as ugly as pig and never say sorry for the inconvenience I face. Instead I have to said thank you to the taukey...as her face is sour...just said to me you the only unlucky person as my unit only face the red dot problem...ha ha bad luck for me but you just can't ignore to help your customer after they facing problem...right!!! :)

ok after bring home the lenovo S10-2 is running windows XP...so after confident no more red dot I decided to reformat and install Linux Mint 8 and the installation run smoothly just one thing problem is during running linux mint 8 live cd normally on my Asus it can detect wireless card but running in S10-2 it can't. Ok as I'm quite new to Linux I said to myself it ok...let it run until finished installation and reboot.

Reboot still it can't detect the wireless card now another problem arise...why linux can't detect broadcom wireless card....so troublesome...instead try ubuntu netbook remix also can't detect the wireless card...ok lastly google around and bump to this blog http://ridz1ba.blogspot.com
where the owner have same S10-2 as mine and he manage to activate the wireless card. Anyone facing same problem can surf the blog and follow how to activate your wireless.

For me I better put the instruction here as the blog is for me to remember how I install lots of application in my linux system. So here goes...

1. After installation done on Linux Mint 8 and the USB bootable still plug in to the USB port. Click on the USB folder on the desktop and click on the 'pool' folder icon, then the 'main' folder icon and then the 'f' folder icon -> 'fakeroot' folder. Click fakeroot_1.12.4ubuntu_i386.deb. Install package. Click the 'Close' button when finished and then close the Package installer.

2. Open the 'd' folder -> 'dkms' folder. Click on the only file there dkms_2.1.0.1-oubuntu1_all.deb. Install package and close when finished.

3. Open the 'p' folder -> 'patch' folder and click patch_2.5.9-5_i386.deb to install it.

4. Open 'pool' folder -> 'restricted' folder -> 'b' folder -> 'bcmwl' folder. Click on bcmwl-kernel-source_5.10.91.9+bdcom-0ubuntu4_i386.deb to install than close it.

5. Restart the netbook than click the network icon and your wireless AP will appear in a list. To connect to the internet via the wireless just click on your AP, enter the password and you will be connected.

The Lenovo S10-2 Ideapad netbook is now ready for use and again thanks to Ridzwan owner blog http://ridz1ba.blogspot.com for his tutorial on lenovo S10-2 wifi setup.

0 comments:

Post a Comment